Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rome

(For a few more pix, go here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwydra/ )

Roman Caesar talking on his cell phone.

The Holtzbrinck business conference that brings us here was quite eventful … but this isn’t the place to talk about that.  One highlight, though, was visiting the Sistine Chapel.  I had seen it once before, many many years ago, when it was still all covered with schmutz, dark and obscure.  Now, all restored, the images are resplendent—not at all garish, which was the criticism I heard in the 1980s (“Surely Michelangelo didn’t intend the sky to be so blue and the robe to be so red!!”)  It was beautiful.  And the transformation made me cry.  Sometimes humans are not so bad after all.

Daphne foiling Apollo
I should also mention the final dinner we had at the Villa Borghese.  The estate itself, with gardens and glorious architecture, is absurdly beautiful—graced even further by all the lovely and interesting people who were there that evening.  We had a tour of the private art collection, and although there were perhaps a few too many references to the fact that our guide shared the same name as the Pope who built the Villa (Paolo), the art was stunning, and I’m very grateful that I got a chance to see it up close.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borghese_Collection Two Bernini sculptures in particular stood out for me—Aeneas escaping with his father and son and Daphne escaping Apollo by turning into a tree.  (I am a little discomfited by the amount of art I've seen so far on this trip that glorify rapes of one kind or another.  But I think Daphne showed very good sense in turning into a tree.  Much better than turning into a cow.)  And then there were the decadently profane and luscious Caravaggios, 5 of them, hung right in front of my nose.  How lucky I am to be seeing them up close, with as much time as I like, not pressed by any boisterous crowds to move along, or forced by anyone to listen to endless prattle. 

Coliseum
After the meeting, Gary and I had another day in Rome, which we used to visit the Coliseum, Palatine Hill, and the Forum.  All I can say is, Rome is pretty darn old, and there is lots and lots of old stuff lying around.


Seat in the Coliseum of a Roman senator,
with his name carved into it.

Lots of old stuff lying around.

I did have to make a couple of business phone calls
while I was there, but it was SO lovely to be able to
call the office from the Forum, rather than anywhere
else in the world.
Titus's Arch, depicting the sack of Jerusalem












Forum 
Gary had rented a car, and here is what I have to say about driving in Rome:

  • All drivers are about 5 times as aggressive and unpredictable as NYC taxi drivers
  • Motor scooters zipping in and out
  •  Dearth of traffic signals and lanes are kind of conceptual
  •  About half the streets one way (and WHY don’t maps ever show that????!!)
  • Pedestrians expect you to stop for them, wherever and whenever they emerge (nothing like a “walk signal” at most corners)
  • Not much honking … because everyone here is actually completely skilled in driving this way 
  •  ­­­­­­Lots of sudden braking (at least on our part)


In the evening we checked into one of the funkiest little boutique hotels I’ve ever been in.  I think it must specialize in *a certain type* of excursion, as witnessed by the bathtub in the bedroom, with the disco ball hanging over it.  And as for the shower . . . Gary said, “I’ll give you one hint.  The top control is for temperature.  The rest of i­­­­t is your adventure to explore.”  And it was quite a lively adventure.
They DO serve a mean breakfast, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment